This Friday is Valentine’s Day- which means a lot of folks will be tossing aside their New Years healthy resolution and binging out on chocolate pieces. I admit, the thought of having a whole bag of chocolate candy (vegan of course) to myself to eat as a guilty pleasure would be amazing (until the tummy ache kicked in). However, even though I’m a super fan of chocolate, I still wanted to keep the dessert “healthy” this year, by choosing better-for-you ingredients for my Valentine dessert.
I know what you’re thinking- how can dessert be healthy?
Well, for starters, this “dream pie” contains all-natural sweetness- I resisted from using processed sugar and only added a small smidgen of brown rice syrup (a fantastic substitute for regular sugar, honey, and maple syrup). The bulk of the sweet comes from the fruit- dried dates, bananas, and strawberries. You get the delight of eating a dessert, while still keeping your dignity lol.
I also teamed up two super foods that are fantastic in so many ways- cacao (raw chocolate) and maca . Raw chocolate is the best source for magnesium, contains vitamins A through E and omega 6’s, and is an antioxidant. All great benefits, and not to be confused with processed and heated cocoa (which has had most healing benefits removed). Maca is also a fantastic food (it is a root, and has a malty flavor), and can help boost fertility as well as help with menstrual issues and increase endurance.
In other words, cacao and maca are a match made in Valentine’s heaven. On top of these super-foods, the dream pie also contains cashews, pecans, and coconut oil- three other healthy ingredients that can have you munching guilt free.
Aside from the health benefits, this pie is also super easy to make and a no-bake vegan dessert!
My kids loved it, and I mean LOVED it (they asked for seconds…and thirds). Already there has been a demand for dream pie round 2…so I’m sure I’ll be making this again on Friday lol.
Strawberry, Banana, & Chocolate Dream Pie
- 1 C dates (soft)
- 1 C pecans
- 2 Tbsp Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C cashews (soaked at least 3 hours or overnight)
- 1 banana (if you want your pie to remain pink, you may want to leave this out and add more nuts or strawberries- the banana will naturally brown)
- 1 1/2 C strawberries (fresh or frozen- I used strawberries I froze myself)
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder
- 1 tsp brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- vegan chocolate chips (for topping)
1) To make the crust: Add all crust ingredients to your food processor and blend until smooth. If you need to, you can add a splash of water if you are having a hard time getting it moving. Transfer the mixture and press into a pie dish.
2) To make the filling: Add all pie ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) to your food processor and run until smooth. Transfer to your pie dish and smooth it out.
3) To decorate: Use your chocolate chips as a decoration tool. Create a heart or a Valentine’s message- the choice is up to you!
I hope you enjoy your Valentine’s Dream Pie! For another easy no-bake Valentine’s dessert, click here for my “Strawberry & Chocolate Little Darlings” recipe.
What kind of treats do you enjoy on Valentine’s Day? Share in the comments below!
Start Healthy Plant-Based Habits Today!
Hey mama! Get blog posts and fun announcements in your email inbox, PLUS get FREE ACCESS to "5 Grocery Store Medicinal Herbs That Can Improve Your Health TODAY" when you join the Boho mailing list!