This Friday is Valentine’s Day- which means a lot of folks will be tossing aside their New Years healthy resolution and binging out on chocolate pieces. I admit, the thought of having a whole bag of chocolate candy (vegan of course) to myself to eat as a guilty pleasure would be amazing (until the tummy ache kicked in). However, even though I’m a super fan of chocolate, I still wanted to keep the dessert “healthy” this year, by choosing better-for-you ingredients for my Valentine dessert.
I know what you’re thinking- how can dessert be healthy?
Well, for starters, this “dream pie” contains all-natural sweetness- I resisted from using processed sugar and only added a small smidgen of brown rice syrup (a fantastic substitute for regular sugar, honey, and maple syrup). The bulk of the sweet comes from the fruit- dried dates, bananas, and strawberries. You get the delight of eating a dessert, while still keeping your dignity lol.
I also teamed up two super foods that are fantastic in so many ways- cacao (raw chocolate) and maca . Raw chocolate is the best source for magnesium, contains vitamins A through E and omega 6’s, and is an antioxidant. All great benefits, and not to be confused with processed and heated cocoa (which has had most healing benefits removed). Maca is also a fantastic food (it is a root, and has a malty flavor), and can help boost fertility as well as help with menstrual issues and increase endurance.
In other words, cacao and maca are a match made in Valentine’s heaven. On top of these super-foods, the dream pie also contains cashews, pecans, and coconut oil- three other healthy ingredients that can have you munching guilt free.
Aside from the health benefits, this pie is also super easy to make and a no-bake vegan dessert!
My kids loved it, and I mean LOVED it (they asked for seconds…and thirds). Already there has been a demand for dream pie round 2…so I’m sure I’ll be making this again on Friday lol.
Strawberry, Banana, & Chocolate Dream Pie
- 1 C dates (soft)
- 1 C pecans
- 2 Tbsp Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C cashews (soaked at least 3 hours or overnight)
- 1 banana (if you want your pie to remain pink, you may want to leave this out and add more nuts or strawberries- the banana will naturally brown)
- 1 1/2 C strawberries (fresh or frozen- I used strawberries I froze myself)
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Maca Powder
- 1 tsp brown rice syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- vegan chocolate chips (for topping)
1) To make the crust: Add all crust ingredients to your food processor and blend until smooth. If you need to, you can add a splash of water if you are having a hard time getting it moving. Transfer the mixture and press into a pie dish.
2) To make the filling: Add all pie ingredients (minus the chocolate chips) to your food processor and run until smooth. Transfer to your pie dish and smooth it out.
3) To decorate: Use your chocolate chips as a decoration tool. Create a heart or a Valentine’s message- the choice is up to you!
I hope you enjoy your Valentine’s Dream Pie! For another easy no-bake Valentine’s dessert, click here for my “Strawberry & Chocolate Little Darlings” recipe.
What kind of treats do you enjoy on Valentine’s Day? Share in the comments below!