*this post contains affiliate links
Spring has sprung- and so has my lemon balm! Part of the mint family, lemon balm is EASY to grow in your backyard garden, with many benefits to your health and well-being. The aroma of lemon balm is so fresh and uplifting; it’s like lemon slices on a cool day. Kneeling beside this growing beauty in my herb garden is like my own session of aromatherapy lol. I love it!
What is wonderful about having your own personal lemon balm plant in your backyard is that you always have access to a natural cure.
You can use the whole plant- the stem, the roots, and the leaves, as part of your healing treatment. Pluck them and eat them, dry them for tea, or use it to flavor salads or even make tinctures!
The possibilities are endless! This isn’t “new” either- lemon balm dates all the way back to the Greeks, where it was used for a number of treatments and ailments. They dedicated it to the Goddess Diana– and trust me, this magical herb sure makes me feel like a Goddess!
Use lemon balm for your health today:
- Ease Anxiety: Lemon balm has sedative properties, which can help folks who suffer from anxiety. Use it in tea or as aromatherapy.
- Pain Relief: Use to cure headaches, backaches, and other sore areas. Take it in supplement or tincture form. For toothaches or a sore throat, gargle or swish!
- Menstrual Issues: Take a dose of lemon balm to ease cramping!
- Treat Insomnia: Studies show that drinking lemon balm tea can help induce sleep- mix it with some chamomile for extra relaxation.
- Mental Calmness and Clarity: Studies have shown that lemon balm can help with concentration and brings you into a calmer sate.
How to make lemon balm tea:
- Dry out your lemon balm leaves. You can do this in a dehydrator or air dry them for a couple days.
- Crush up your dried leaves (by hand). Store in an air-tight container to preserve freshness.
- Steep 2-4 teaspoons of lemon balm in 1 cup of hot water.
What is your favorite go-to garden herb? Share in the comments below!
Save Time. Eat Healthy. Be Smart.
Learn how YOU can be a SMART VEGAN while saving time (and money) with my FREE GUIDE, PLUS get easy vegan recipes and fun announcements in your email inbox when you join the Boho mailing list!