Happy July 4th! Are you ready for driveway fireworks? Or are you one of those people who camp out all day with their radios and lawn chairs, waiting for the big boys?
Where I live, it’s illegal to buy what I consider real fireworks. I’m actually okay with that. I don’t have to worry about drunk people shooting rockets through my backyard lol. (UPDATE: It is now legal, so I officially have to shield my children while the neighbors let their teenagers
blow off their hands light rockets safely.)
Thankfully though, a few years ago they approved small fountains- so we will be spending about 15 minutes of our time tonight “oooing” and “ahhhing” at sparkly lights in our driveway.
Before the “light show” begins, during the day I’ll be doing food prep and making a delicious dessert to celebrate.
When the weather gets hot like this, I reach for something cool. Freeze pops, dairy-free ice cream, cold cuts of watermelon, and lots of smoothies!
Related: Vegan S’mores Ice Cream Pops
The winter is reserved for warming foods, like hot cakes and chocolates. Summer is the time when cold desserts rule! I always have an overflow of fruits in the fridge (and freezer), so it’s my go-to sweetener. I also don’t do a lot of baking in the summer, but instead whip up raw and no-bake recipes. Making a raw dessert is quick, easy as “pie,” and just the chiller you need when you’re sweating buckets.
While making this dessert, I was thinking about what to call it. Which brought me to the question- is this a pie or a tart? Luckily I had a very reliable source to run to…I googled it.
So what’s the difference between a pie and a tart you ask?
A pie is thick- it can have a bottom crust, filling, and a top layer (or no layer at all). A tart, by definition is shallow, and typically does not have a top layer.
There you have it folks. So this summer dessert is…a…tart. Or a pie, if you play favorites.
No matter what you call it, it’s berry-licious and berry-easy.
Berry-licious Summer Dessert
- 1 C cashews, soaked 1 hour (or overnight)
- 2 bananas, frozen 1-2 hours
- 1 C blueberries, frozen
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp raw agave
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of pink salt
- Sliced strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Unsweetened coconut
- To make the crust: Place all crust ingredients into a food processor and mix until combined well (mixture will be chunky).
- Transfer to a pie dish. Using your hands, press the mixture against the sides of the dish, forming the crust. Set aside.
- To make the filling: Place all filling ingredients into your food processor (no need to rinse it, the crust flavors will mix in well) and mix until smooth.
- Pour on top of the crust and spread evenly.
- Top with sliced strawberries, fresh blueberries, and unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes before serving.
What’s your go-to food during the summer? Share in the comments below!
Start Healthy Plant-Based Habits Today!
Hey mama! Get blog posts and fun announcements in your email inbox, PLUS get FREE ACCESS to "5 Grocery Store Medicinal Herbs That Can Improve Your Health TODAY" when you join the Boho mailing list!